HartSCI, a small business headquartered in Tucson, AZ, is looking to hire a full-time Optical Engineer to work on optical design, construction, test, and deployment of imaging systems and adaptive optics systems. The applicant must be skilled in the use of the Zemax optical design tools, as well as proficient in constructing, aligning and testing optical systems in the laboratory and in the field. The successful candidate will work on a broad range of optical problems including system conceptual design, ray tracing and aberration analysis, tolerancing, specification and oversight of optical component procurement and fabrication, and optical system alignment and testing. This position involves working in close-knit, multi-disciplinary teams with design, analysis and test personnel from other engineering disciplines. The position is based in Tucson and will require occasional travel to meetings and field sites. US citizenship is required.
- Design, analyze, develop, and test optical imaging systems by applying principles in optics, physics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and image processing techniques.
- Perform tolerance analysis and make tolerance recommendations to meet system performance and cost requirements.
- Specify and oversee the procurement of custom optical components.
- Plan, assemble, integrate, and perform tests to evaluate system performance in laboratory and field environments.
- Work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects.
- Limited travel to customer sites is required.
Skills and Qualifications
- A Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in Optics, Optical Sciences, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or a related discipline
- Minimum 5 years experience (B.Sc.) or 2 years experience (M.Sc.) required
- A proven track record in working with imaging systems modeling, analysis and design using commercial optical system design tools
- Demonstrated ability to use Zemax with a high degree of proficiency
- Stray light analysis modeling, simulation, and mitigation
- Hands-on experience with optical alignment tools to include visible and infrared lasers, interferometers, etc
- A portfolio of successful optical imaging systems and opto-mechanical assemblies
- Demonstrated ability to understand, and work to, customer requirements and expectations of a commercial opto-mechanical system
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and ability to work well in a team as well as independently
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to communicate highly technical information to others concisely and effectively
- Understand and communicate design trade space options including system performance, cost, and the advantages and limitations of a design
- Experience in the aerospace and defense industries
- Active DoD security clearance (min. Secret) is highly desirable. Ability to attain a security clearance if not currently in possession of one is required.
Competitive Salary package; 401k, medical, dental and vision insurance. COVID-19 protocols in place.